On January 22, 1973, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled on Roe v. Wade which struck down the laws in every state and established abortion on demand in all 50 states. States were given some latitude is regulating abortions. Because of the companion case to Roe v. Wade, Doe v. Bolton that defined “health” for abortion to include all factors that relate to a woman’s sense of well being, little regulating could be done except what has been accomplished through challenges in the court.
NORTH CAROLINA LAWS RELATING TO ABORTION:
- North Carolina Abortion Law (G.S. 14-45.1)
- North Carolina Parental Consent for Abortion Law (G.S. 90-21.6)
- Abortion-Woman’s Right to Know Law, Printed Instructions, Civil Remedies (G.S. 90-21.80)
- Display of Real Time View Requirement (Enjoined) (G.S. 90-21.85)
- Limitation on the Use of State Funds for Abortion (G.S. 143C-6-5.5)
- Woman’s Right to Know Act site is a state maintained web site that contains links to a printable resource director and a booklet describing the developing unborn child and the different types of abortion procedures. The site is for the purpose of helping a mother know about the risks to abortion and carrying a child to term, alternatives to abortion, about her developing unborn child, about the agencies that will provide assistance if she wishes to give birth to her child and the agencies that provide free ultrasounds.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT ABORTION:
- Information: http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/index.html
- Factsheets: http://www.nrlc.org/Factsheets/index.html
- Brochures: http://www.nrlc.org/onlinebrochures/Downloadables/index.htm
LINKS TO WEB SITES CONTAINING ABORTION RELATED MATERIALS: